Singita’s Ebony Lodge, on the Sand River, is a new interpretation of a classic safari lodge, combining tented camp and luxury lodge style.
Why It’s Special: Singita means “Place of Miracles” in Shangaan, and its spirit represents that in every way. Stunning authentic African design, incredible staff, and connection to nature makes for an life-changing, adventurous African experience. Rich in history, the lodge has curated still-life collections of antiques and artifacts, and vintage furniture from the Bailes family.
The Space: A private plunge pool and outdoor pavilion decks – for dining and relaxing – are suspended above the river banks, as if hanging from the trees. Canvas and glass walls create a contemporary safari tent-style to immerse guests in nature and views.
The Design: Inspired by the romance and adventure of tented camps, explorers’ abodes and campaign furniture, Ebony’s interiors are enhanced by the lustre of well-polished ebony and mahogany woods. Brought to life by the rich, golden glow of old brass, hand-woven baskets, beige tent canvas and exposed thatch.
The Lodge: Materials like wood, iron, steel and aged bonze hark back to the 19th century, along with oversized sepia photography, glamorous leopard and zebra print upholstery, and bold graphic tribal patterned murals. Internal and external walls have been replaced by canvas and glass to create safari tent-style suites to maximise views and space.Additional Information
A beautiful marble and cast iron table is the furniture centerpiece for this concept – it is a traveller’s desk with smart tools, a private dining room table for entertaining or a bar to enjoy an evening gin & tonic in one.
- 8 x Suites ideal for singles and couples traveling together. One inter-leading unit is available for groups traveling together.
- 2 x Lewis Suites ideal for families with teenage children. The suites are right next to each other and within close proximity to the main lodge area.
- 2 x Family Suites ideal for families with small children. The family suites include an en-suite master bedroom and an en-suite twin bedroom as well as a dining and lounge veranda area with a stone fireplace, and a private viewing deck with heated plunge pool.
- 1 x Villa comprises the two Family Suites with access to an additional private lounge, swimming pool and deck area, which connects these two individual suites. Ebony Villa will includes a private guide and vehicle, chef, host and banakeli (personal waiter). There is a private entrance and boma, so small groups searching for complete seclusion will be at ease. The Ebony Villa is suited to up to four adults and four children under 12 years, or up to six adults and teenagers.
Note: Children of all ages are welcome.
- There is a swimming pool in the main lodge area.
- Spa and gym facilities are available.
- Our Singita Boutique & Gallery and Premier Wine Boutique.
- There is a television available in the library at the main lodge.
- Dependent upon area coverage, there is mobile phone signal.
- There is complimentary internet (WiFi) access, however due to the remote location of the lodge, the wireless connection can be slow and intermittent.
- Electricity/power available: 220V. Converters are also available and hair dryers are supplied in each suite
- Children of all ages are welcome. There are babysitting services available and tailor-made activities to suit each family.
- In the interest of safety, children’s participation in game activities is at the discretion of your guide.